Joaquin DiazMake Press Inquiry
Joaquin Diaz Tracks
Joaquin Diaz onstage is totally irresistible. His light-fingered accordion playing and his infectious vocals drenched in Latin soul make this Caribbean maestro the best of the new generation of traditional folk merengue artists. His repertoire is a mixture of traditional and original tunes characterized by exhilarating rhythms.
Diaz’s musical career began on the streets of San Pedro de Macorix at age nine and by the age of twelve, this Dominican king of accordion was playing in the most prestigious Regencies of the capital city. While still in his teens he performed at the Pan-American Games in Puerto Rico accompanying the Dominican Republic’s Ballets Folkloricos.
In 1990 Joaquin brought his cultural magic and accordion wizardry with him to Canada. Based in Montréal, he and his extremely talented musicians have thrilled Latino and non-Latino fans alike throughout North America and Europe. After performing at several editions of the renowned International Accordion Festival in San Antonio, Texas, he was awarded a grant by Canada Council for the Arts to study conjunto music, and continues to explore accordion styles (musette, Québécois).
In performance, Joaquin’s musicians sustain his sense of rhythm with devilish percussion – congas, tambora, guira, bongos, bass drum and electric bass – and add vocal energy to the invigorating bachatas. His own vocals are absolutely electrifying and he is a master showman who connects directly and effortlessly with an audience. Joaquin Diaz has travelled the world as an ambassador for merengue music.
Latin | World Music/Contemporary
- Lowell, MA
Merengue Master Accordionist Joaquin Diaz at Lowell Folk Fest July 26-28
Here is the most exciting traditional merengue music you will ever hear! Last year was a banner year for the merengue master accordionist JOAQUIN DIAZ and his band: following shows in the Yukon, Borneo, Estonia and many other places including a 2-week US tour (Chicago World Music Festival, Lotus World Music Festival, Latin Music Festival, and more).
This world-tour followed a super-successful showcase at WOMEX (Spotlight Quebec) in Oct. 2012, where the greatest world music bands on the...
- 07/26/2013, Lowell, MA, Lowell Folk Fesitval View
- 07/25/2013, Edmonton, AB, Blue Chair Cafe, 8:30pm View
- 07/24/2013, Sherwood Park, AB, Festival Place, 7:30pm View
- 07/23/2013, Golden, BC, Kicking Horse Cultural Centre View
- 07/22/2013, Victoria, BC, Butchart Gardens, 8:00pm View
- 07/19/2013, Vancouver, BC, Jericho Beach Park View
- Art & Culture Maven, Album review, 07/14/2013, Tour Preview See Text
- CKUA, Album review, 07/14/2013, Event Listing See Text
- Lowell Sun, Article, 07/24/2013, Joaquin Diaz See Text
- Sentinel & Enterprise, Concert review, 07/27/2013, Lowell Folk Festival See Text
- The Edmonton Journal, Concert preview, 08/01/2013, Toronto Arts and Culture See Text
- Now Toronto, Concert listing, 08/01/2013, Free Toronto See Text
- Nexus Newspaper, Concert listing, 07/17/2013, Master Accordianist See Text
- Dos Mundos Radio, Concert preview, 08/01/2013, Sun Fest Preview See Text